OK, time for some good, some bad and some I can't believe Jason did that!
First the good. Although it is kind of sad too, still it seems to have ended good. A guy in my ward who is so-so in his activity needed help last Sunday. As it turned out, his mother needed to be moved from her apartment ASAP. It seem there was a fire that hit her apartment building inside this apartment complex and she was being moved over to another apartment inside the complex. Well, Bishop Ballard (my bishop) found out Sunday mourning and after talking with Pres. Larkin (my Elder's Q Pres.), it was decided that after church they would gather as many guys as they could to help this lady out. While normal such things are not done on Sunday, there was not much choice here. So, I ended up helping with my first move in my new ward.
I also met a possible cool new friend from Arrowhead in So. Cal, but more on that later.
Now the bad. I thought I had a job today at this heavy duty recycling plant. It was a construction type job if you forgive my lack of explanation. My ward's job rep works there are head about a position there that he thought I could do. Now I was told that it was from 6am to 4pm Monday to Friday and the pay was $9 an hour, but I was not told anything else about the job! So, while there where some issues I had, I thought I'd take a look. Well, they had me watch about an hour and half or so of training tapes. It was gross how many men have died in these kinds of jobs over the years and in such graphic ways! Well, they wanted me to sign the employment papers and go off to I'm still not even sure what the job was going to be!
So, I told the foreman that I wanted to know my job description before I actually started work and filled out the job papers. I was answered back a little later that they didn't want to hire a worker who wanted to know so much ahead of time. MOVING ON... So, I came close to a job, even woke up at 5am for it (and I am SOOOOO tired!), but it was a dud.
Well, finally the I can't believe Jason would do that! So, for the first time I went off to a Singles Ward Family Home Evening last night. It was something else. They set up the gym for bowling and ping pong. It was also funny. Everyone kept asking if I was new in the Singles Ward and I kept saying, "No, I go to my Family Ward, but I'll go to some of your activities." I think I made their bishop a little mad when he asked me that question and I told him I was just there for the activity. He stopped talking to me right after I told him that. Just ended the conversation and walked off! WOW! Just reminds me again while I stand by my no Singles Ward policy.
Anyway, moving on, I did meet some fun people there last night. One in particular was a 23 year old lady who was from Lake Arrowhead and if I remembered right who's family now lives in Anaheim. So we talked about California a lot of the night. She is here because she got hired on with the Clark Count School District as a teacher. And then this other guy played ping pong with me. Brought back memories of the Institute in Santa Monica. Well, while I am ready for the attacks (I'm the most stubborn fool you may ever meet), I think I may go back next week.
That is all for now. No job yet of course, but I feel the experience and learning surrounding me everyday. Wish you were all here! (No really, when can I expect you to move?) j/k
15 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Boy oh boy, sounds like you're trying lots of new things. :) Singles ward eh? :) Well I say good for you. I'm surprise about how that bishop acted. weird. Oh well. Glad you are moving on and not letting it affect you. I hope you do go again to their activities. :)
P.S. Good luck in the job search!
I'm not. I find that kind of thinking a lot when it comes to singles wards. One reason I normally stay away from them. But, as I found out, not everyone is like that and I should not let the mean ones keep me from stuff.
Post a Comment