20 July 2008

Ok, so I guess I should talk about my thoughts for "The Dark Knight". I would talk about my math grade too, but I have to wait a day.

So, when it comes to this new chapter in the Batman films, I find myself mixed at best. On one had it was a great film. There were parts I liked and felt were done very well. On the other hand I have great issues with it. A smaller side issue, but kind of connected to my biggest issue is Heath Ledger's Joker. Needless to say, I think I understand now why he needed those sleeping pills. He was good and sucked all at the same time. He clearly immersed himself as was advertised and did his home work. But on the other hand, and purely my opinion, I like my Joker a little more "cartoon-like" and less violent then what Mr. Ledger gave us.

That full on goes into my biggest complaint, the violence. It was too violent, end of story. I understand that these kinds of films need a level of violence, but I felt they crossed some lines with this one they did not need to. In a perfect world I should be able to say that it was too violent for anyone to see, but since the world is not, it seems the only argument left (if it in fact even still exists anymore) is to say that it was too violent for children.

I have already read a few reviewers who said this film was not for kids. After seeing it I agree 100%. However, kids are going to see it in droves ANYWAY. It does not help the fact that it is heavily marketed to children. Just today while looking at the ToysRUs ad, there was a whole section of sales for "Dark Knight" related toys and school gear for children. Kids being kids are not going to want to play with a toy from a movie and not want to see it. And further more, why wouldn't they want to see "Batman". From the very start, characters like Batman, Superman and Spider-Man have been heavily associated with children.

The medium of comic books, where these characters came from originally, has been for some time associated with children. While there seems to be a trend in the last few years to include adults (and there violent ways), kids still seem to be associated with comic books. Just look at the ads inside the books for proof of that.

Further more, Batman has had more incarnations in tv and films in animated form. All of which, save for the new "Gotham Knight" film, associated with children's entertainment. Kids watch The Batman. Kids watch these characters, these heroes. They are going to want to watch "The Dark Knight" just as they have ever singe Batman film since the early serials.

I say shame on director Chris Nolan and distributors/ studios behind the film Warner Brothers and DC Comics for making a Batman film that kids should not see. If Mr. Nolan is so impressive and such a great director, why could he not make the same film with less violence? Unless he really ISN'T that good?

This film furthers the trend of Hollywood's seemly lack of responsibility with the films and tv shows they make. It always seems that when ever some concerned parent or watch dog group or even government group raises this question, Hollywood answerer's with the usual "It's just a movie, it just fiction, it's not meant to effect people!", or something to that effect. Yet I ask the question then, why do these same people in Hollywood turn around when it comes to time for Oscar season and say they want to make films that effect people?

Another thing Hollywood seems to say is that it is on the parents to be responsible. The issue with this is a few. One, a lot of parents seem to not care, so should we just let those kids watch whatever? Do they no longer count? But are they not still going to impact society later? Second, while in a perfect world kids should look up to mom or dad, the truth is that many look up to celebrities of some kind. Should not these celebrity then hold some fraction of responsibility as soon as child holds them up to that kind of light? Finally, many parent DO try to teach there children correct principles and try to watch what they kids watch. However, Hollywood makes it hard for these parents TO be parents. In marketing and other such techniques, Hollywood makes it hard for parents to keep such films and shows out of there homes.

In the past it has been easier to part ways, as most of the worst films with sex and violence that are popular with adults have little interest to children, but this time Hollywood has gone too far, and some how I don't think they will stop with "The Dark Knight". With the money that the film is bring in and if in fact it become an award show darling in about six months or so, expect more of the same here.

So I ask, how long and how far will we as Americans let Hollywood push this slime onto our children before we do something about it or it becomes too late. Think of the extra violence at schools such as with school shootings, think of how many kids these days seem to have a more violent view of the world and a shorter fuse when it comes to temper tantrums and the use of violence to solve problems, think about how these children who are being fed this filth today will be our leaders tomorrow. Do we really think we can have peace on Earth if society rather watch violence? If the kids today who will be adults tomorrow are shown and taught early on that this is an ok thing to shove pencils into peoples for heads?

I'm not say that Hollywood should take ALL the responsibility, but it is time they take their fair share. All I see is NO ONE taking any responsibility here and things getting worse and worse. This needs to stop and it needs to stop NOW!

And this from a guy who mostly liked the film. It's really hard for me to do this, really being such a big fan of Batman, but the line must be drawn sometime and by someone.

1 comment:

Karalenn Hippen said...

Well put. I still haven't seen it yet, but Seth and I knew that if we were to see it than we wouldn't bring the girls. I'm glad critics have been so honest about how violent it is so we wouldn't accidentally take them. I've been pretty sensitive to voilence with this pregnancy so I may not actually go see it in the theatre and just send Seth by his lonesome. :) I seem to be at the level of if it's not good for the kids to see, it's not good for me to see.